Saturday 13 August 2016

Am I getting fat?

One of the things I was most worried about before my thyroidectomy was weight gain; I had heard many accounts of the process with some people stating that they did gain weight afterwards. I have been thin my whole life and have always loved the fact that I could eat as much junk food as I wanted and not gain any weight and I didn't want that to change.

So, did I gain weight after surgery? Yes. But did I get fat? No. Before my surgery I was about 133/134 lbs (approx. 62 kg) and I had been maintaining that weight for a good while, maybe 6 months or so, but so far I have gained about 8 lbs and, as of today, weigh 141.4 lbs (64 kg). I will point out that I haven't really been that active since I had my thyroidectomy as I just graduated university and am pretty much at home every day. Also, my diet isn't the most healthy and I pretty much eat whatever I can get my hands on. What I will say though, is that my appetite is still not back to normal and although I'm not eating the same amount in one sitting, I am eating more frequently. I did ask my doctor about this but he straight up said he didn't know why this was happening so I'll just have to wait and see for myself.

I'm 5'10 so I am quite tall and 141 lbs will look completely different on someone much shorter than me. Luckily for me, the weight seems to be just making me rounder and curvier in the right places so I'm quite happy about that. However, the speed at which it all happened was a little scary to me. About a week or so after my discharge, I realised that I was gaining weight really fast and went up to about 137 lbs initially (that's 5 lbs in one week). This was quite worrying because I thought that I would just continue to gain more and more weight until I was an elephant. But, luckily it did slow right down after that first week and since then I've only gained a little bit here and there.

As I said, I am a tall woman so I don't particularly mind gaining more weight, just as long as I can still fit into my clothes. But, I don't see myself gaining too much more since I have been thin my whole life and my dad's side of the family is too. But of course only time will tell.

Take care! x

No comments:

Post a Comment