Thursday 28 July 2016

2 months post thyroidectomy update

So, it has been 8 weeks since I had my thyroidectomy and I can honestly say I feel like myself and have done for a while. I was lucky because the first dose of thyroxine seemed to have fit my body's needs perfectly so I didn't suffer much with that.

What I will say, which is something I never thought would still be happening two months post, is that my scar is still actually quite sore to the touch. It isn't overwhelming but it does feel like a small pinching pain which is very uncomfortable so it means that I can't massage the area too much, but I've started using Mederma scar gel and ScarAway silicone sheets this week as well. I stated previously that I had been massaging my scar with coconut oil a few weeks after my operation but I did use Bio Oil as well for a couple of weeks after that until I bought the two products above. I'm not sure how and if they will work for me but I've heard some good reviews about them and I'm very keen to use the ScarAway sheets because my scar is becoming slightly raised and I'm not sure whether it is just part of the healing process or if it is going to stay like that so I'd rather get ahead of it now. The area just above the scar is also still numb which is very uncomfortable combined with the pinching pain I get from touching the area; hopefully that will disappear soon.

In other news, I had a blood test a couple days ago to check my calcium levels but I'm yet to hear from the hospital in regards to the results of that test. I was told that my calcium levels were within normal range at my last appointment and to slowly decrease my calcium supplements but as of right now I am not taking any. Every time I take one it gives me the worst stomach cramps so I decided that there was no point pushing it. However, I still occasionally get tingling sensations in my legs and hands which is annoying because as I said, my body doesn't seem to be able to handle the calcium supplements. I used to take Vitamin D supplements daily before my surgery so I think I will start to do that again and hopefully discuss any other options with a doctor or nurse.

Also, I'm not sure if I've spoken about this but I have still been suffering with my thyroid eye disease as well. I will say that it isn't as bad as it was in the past but it definitely hasn't disappeared completely which, even though there was a chance that wouldn't happen, is what I was hoping for. I have been taking selenium supplements since about March at the recommendation of the doctor at Moorfields Eye Hospital but I cannot be sure of their being the reason my eyes have improved. My eyes can still be quite watery but the dryness hasn't been an issue for a while now. Obviously the appearance is still the same as my upper eyelids have excess fat in them which will not vanish instantaneously. They are also still bulgy to me so I don't know if they've lessened, but if they have it's not been by much. I have an appointment at Moorfields again next week to analyse them and discuss my options.

But it can only improve from here right?

Thanks for reading and take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment